Green Globes® is a green building guidance and assessment program much like USGBC's LEED. Green Globes offers an effective, practical and affordable way to advance the overall environmental performance and sustainability of commercial buildings.
Unlike LEED, Green Globes is a nationally recognized Standard Development Organization accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). This means that Green Globes was developed using a consensus based process assuring open disclosure and stake holder review. USGBC used their own process to develop LEED.
Based on its recognized and proven assessment protocol, using the Green Globes software tools and ratings/certification system ensures that environmental impacts are comprehensively assessed on a 1,000 point scale in multiple categories:
- Project Management
- Materials and Resources
- Indoor Environment
After achieving a threshold of at least 35% of the total number of 1,000 points, new and existing commercial buildings can be certified for their environmental achievements and sustainability by pursuing Green Globes certification that assigns a rating of one to four globes. Green Globes also costs roughly 75% less that LEED based on a 100,000 s.f. building and is faster and easier to use with its online automated program.
Whether your project is new construction or renovation, energy efficient roofing, water run-off management and renewable energy are all important points to consider - and Sika Sarnafil makes it easy. A Sika Sarnafil roof can qualify for the attainment of 21 points under the site Credit 3.2.3 and 126.96.36.199. A Sika Sarnafil roof can also contribute towards additional points as described below.
Sika Sarnafil's Roofing and Waterproofing Systems Play a Role
Sika Sarnafil’s EnergySmart Roof® membranes and Green Roof systems can contribute to multiple points in GBI’s Site category. This is done by replacing natural landscape space removed in the construction process with a green (vegetated) roof, encouraging regionally appropriate landscaping, controlling stormwater runoff; and helping reduce the heat island effect. Below are the sections where Sika Sarnafil products can help you obtain points towards GBI certification:
- Site Credit 188.8.131.52 (Heat Island Effect) – An EnergySmart Roof and/or Green Roof obtains up to 6 points.
- Site Credit 3.2.3 (Storm Water Management) – A Green Roof can help obtain up to 15 points.
Sika Sarnafil’s EnergySmart Roof membranes and Solar Roof systems can contribute to multiple points in GBI’s Energy category. This is accomplished by helping optimize energy performance and the use of renewable and clean sources of energy, generated on-site. Below are the sections where Sika Sarnafil products can help you obtain points towards GBI certification:
- Energy Credit 184.108.40.206 (Power Demand Reduction) – An EnergySmart Roof contributes to the possible 16 points.
- Energy Credit 3.3.9. (Renewable Sources of Energy) – A Solar Roof contributes to the possible 32 points.
Sika Sarnafil’s EnergySmart Roof membranes and Roof Recycling Program can be used to obtain multiple points in GBI’s Resources/Materials category. A mechanically attached vinyl roof at the end of its useful life can be recycled by Sika Sarnafil into new roofing membrane products and replaced with a roof membrane that is made with pre and post consumer recycled waste. Below are the sections where Sika Sarnafil products can help you obtain points towards GBI certification:
- Resources/Materials Credit 220.127.116.11 (Building Assembly) - Sika Sarnafil's S327 and G410 (5' and 10' model), Sikplan, PVC Protection Layer and Sarnatred collectively contain an average of 10% recycled content and can contribute to the attainment of 20 points.
- Resources/Materials Credit 3.5.4 (Construction Waste) - Sika Sarnafil’s Roof Recycling Program contributes to the possible 6 points.
- Resources/Materials Credit 18.104.22.168.3 (Resource Conservation) - Sika Sarnafil’s Roof Recycling Program contributes to the possible 2 points.
- Resources/Materials Credit 3.5.7 (Building Envelope-Roofing membrane Assemblies and Systems) - A Sika Sarnafil roof system can contribute to the possible 10 points.
- Resources/Materials Credit 22.214.171.124 (Below Grade Walls Slabs and Above Grade Horizontal Assemblies) – A Sika Sarnafil waterproofing system contributes to 2 points.
- Resources/Materials Credit 3.5.10 (Envelope-Barriers) - Install a Sika Sarnafil air barrier and tie-in to the buildings wall barrier to help contribute to the 2 points.
Sika Sarnafil’s Low or No VOC emitting roof membrane adhesives can be used to obtain points in GBI’s Indoor Environment category. This is accomplished by not contributing to possible fumes and/or odors during building construction. Below is the section where Sika Sarnafil products can help you obtain points towards GBI certification:
- Indoor Environment Credit 3.7.2 – Sika Sarnafil’s Low or No VOC emitting membrane adhesives contribute to the possible 2.5 points.
Why Choose Sika Sarnafil?
- Experienced technical staff
- Proven long-term performance
- Low life cycle costs
- Energy efficient roofing systems
- Highly reflective EnergySmart Roof membranes
- Green roofs
- Solar roofs
- Authorized applicators
- Design flexibility
- ENERGY STAR® rated membranes
- Roof recycling program