50th Anniversary of Sarnafil Brand Roofing Membrane
Outstanding Performance History Demonstrated in Period Spanning Half-Century
April 10, 2012 - CANTON, MA – Sika Sarnafil, the worldwide market leader in thermoplastic roofing and waterproofing systems, is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Sarnafil® brand membrane, the world’s first reinforced thermoplastic membrane for commercial roofing, known today for its proven performance over time.
In 1962, chemists at the four-year-old Sarna Company introduced Sarnafil membrane on a series of test roofs. Shortly after, an architect for the EXPO 64 in Lausanne, Switzerland realized he could use the new tear-resistant material as roofing for the Expo’s large tent-like pavilions. It was at this exposition that the young company became known to building professionals throughout the world.
Since then, the company has produced more than 15 billion square feet of thermoplastic membranes – enough to cover both New York City and Chicago.
“Sarnafil membranes have consistently set the bar for high quality in the roofing industry,” said Brian J. Whelan, Senior Vice President of Sika Sarnafil. “Prestigious international organizations such as the British Board of Agrément and The Army Corps of Engineers as well as independent research by roofing experts have consistently rated Sarnafil membranes among the industry best. Equally important, Sarnafil membrane continues to perform, providing specifiers and building owners with the confidence of knowing that they are selecting a membrane with 50 years of proven performance all over the world.”
In 1975, Sarnafil, Inc. was established in Canton, MA, as well as in Mississauga, Ontario, and the first U.S. installation of a Sarnafil roof system was completed at the First United Methodist Church in Laconia, NH the following year.
Known for its proven performance over time, Sarnafil has also been known for innovation in the industry:
Sika Sarnafil Milestone Innovations
- Watertight Protection: Development of the Sarnamatic automatic hot air seam welder, which welds membrane overlaps to ensure watertight protection, in 1966
- Green Roofs: The first vegetated green roof protected by Sika Sarnafil’s G476 waterproofing membrane installed at Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, NH in 1978
Custom Color Membranes: Introduction of custom color roofing membranes and acrylic coating in 1979
- Recycling: Introduction of SarnaPad Roof Walkway Mat from recycled membrane production trimmings and scrap in 1994. In 2008, Sika Sarnafil introduced a take-back and recycling program for aged PVC roofing membrane that enables building owners to help minimize the enormous waste burden that impacts landfills nationwide
- Energy Efficiency: Introduction of EnergySmart Roof® System reflective membranes that exceed the cool roof requirements of ENERGY STAR®, California’s Building Energy Code, LEED® and Green Globes®, in 1998
- Proven Performance: In 2001, Sarnafil collected roofing membrane samples from 44 roofs in North America and Europe and the durability of the company’s vinyl roofing membranes in exposed applications was documented. The average age of roofs tested was more than 20 years, with the oldest being 34 years. In 2008, the British Board of Agrément conducted an independent analysis of Sarnafil roof membranes and certified “All available evidence suggests that the durability of Sarnafil membranes, when used in accordance with the relevant BBA certificates, should have a life in excess of 35 years.”
“Sarnafil’s biggest selling point is their track record,” said Justin Harris, owner’s representative for the Alpine School District in Lindon, Utah. “We walked on several Sarnafil roofs over 25 years old in the Utah area – and seeing the condition first-hand was amazing. If need be, you could still weld onto membrane that old. The durability is proven in the real world, not just in the test lab.”
About Sika AG
Sika AG, headquartered in Baar, Switzerland, is a globally active company supplying the specialty chemicals market. It is a leader in processing materials used in sealing, bonding, damping, reinforcing and protecting load-bearing structures in construction (buildings and infrastructure construction) and in industry (vehicle, building component and equipment construction). Sika’s product lines feature high-quality concrete admixtures, specialty mortars, sealants and adhesives, damping and reinforcing materials, structural strengthening systems, industrial flooring and roofing and waterproofing membranes. Sika AG has subsidiaries in more than 76 countries worldwide, including Canton, MA and approximately 15,250 employees link customers directly to Sika and guarantee the success of all of its business relationships. With this business structure, Sika generates annual sales of CHF 4.556 billion. For more information about Sika Sarnafil in the U.S., visit http://usa.sarnafil.sika.com/.